Thursday, February 27, 2020

How Much I Will Charge for my Games

The pricing for a game varies quite a bit based on how much money was spent to make the game, how long it took to make the game, and the quality of the game. The pricing range for games range from free-to-play and up to the maximum of 60 dollars. Games will probably never be priced beyond 60 dollars because that is what the gaming community expects to pay for a high quality, AAA title. However, the games I will create will most likely never going to reach that level of polish. The games I make will probably range from 5 to 20 dollars.

This pricing is specifically for the games I make on PC. With this price range for the games I make, I will need to sell between 1,500 and 6,000 copies in order to make at least 30,000 dollars to get through a year. This may not be a problem because according to this website, there are 2.5 billion video gamers around the world. However, I will be limited by how many of them can speak English and according to some statistics from this site, only 30.43% of the 90 million users on Steam speak English. This would reduce the amount of people who would buy my game significantly.

Using the statistics from these sites, I calculated to have about 3 million players that might be interested in the games I make. If I somehow manage to get just half of these players to buy my game, it wouldn't even matter how I price my game. But, there is the problem of how people perceive the game based on its price. If it is too low, people will be skeptical to buy it believing that it is some cheap game that is not worth anything.

Taking a look at other independent or indie games, the more popular ones are priced at around 15 to 20 dollars while the less popular one are around 5 dollars. Though there are some exceptionally great free-to-play indie games.

Overall, the pricing of my game can only be truly price my game once I created one. From past experiences, the games I help make are not that great and are only fun projects with friends that are can be priced up to a maximum of 2 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment